Remember how last year we were about to move to the Twin Cites, when a company Bryan had interviewed with - but not heard back from - called to say they wanted an in-person interview right away? Remember how they flew both of us out for a long weekend and offered him the job? Remember how we decided to cancel our move to the Twin Cities, and try a new adventure in Oregon, instead? Remember how we moved in town several times until we found a home to purchase? Remember how we spent lots of time and money updating that home and making it ours?
Well, ahem, "funny" story...
One year after they so desperately hired him, offered him an excellent package and paid us to move all the way across the country, and just weeks after a glowing review, he was laid off.
Yeah. I know.
He came home from work and I could just tell something wasn't right. He looked my in the eyes, took my hand and said "it's going to be okay". (Not a great way to share news with someone who's been through hell, let me tell you - PANIC MODE). My heart sunk, I just knew he was either dying (something I believe is happening at least once a month, or so. Basically whenever he's late getting home.), or has lost his job. It was the job.
His boss had called him in to his office at the end of the day to let him know they were suffering financially and were making cuts. Sadly, he fell into the "last in, first out" category, with several other employees. He told him how sorry he was, then told him he was getting no severance (you know, financial problems), but would get a great letter of recommendation. (Unfortunately, mortgage lenders don't accept this as payment for loans...nor grocery stores for food, for that matter.)
I don't even know what to say about this. As someone who has suffered the worst possible fate, I simultaneously don't handle things well, and realize it's not the worst thing that can happen.
The very first thing I did was laugh. Yeah, laugh and laugh. Of course he was laid off! We had literally just finished ordering new flooring for our new house. Makes perfect sense in our life. And, the holidays were coming up. And winter. All perfect situations for not having any income.
Then, we both applied to all jobs we could find. We make a list of what we had and what we owed and realized we had two months to find something before we were in major trouble. We immediately stopped spending any money we didn't absolutely have to. (Thank goodness for a stocked freezer and pantry!)
Bryan was looking for jobs locally, but apparently the company he worked for was one of only six in the area that hire engineers of his background. And, none of them were hiring.
We decided we had to expand the net and put our house - the one we had lived in for only nine months and just finished making ours - up for sale.
Yeah, I know. I don't want to talk about it.
Well, I guess I do.
If I've learned anything in the past four years, it's that life just happens and you can't do anything but face it. Things just are what they are.
We listed our house and spent the next ten days living in a spotless home while it showed. Thankfully, we got a full-price offer on the tenth day and now are just waiting to close on December 23rd. Yes, two days before Christmas. Happy Christmas to us. (not).
It's now been two months since this all began. Bryan has been applying to every job he can find that fits, and we literally have no idea where we'll be living in 3 weeks.
I don't know what to say.
It's been very stressful. I'm fluctuating from sad to angry to numb to just lost. All this on top of the fact that this is as hard time of year for us. This is the "diagnosis" time of year, and the "he's going to die any minute" time of year, and the holidays. It's just been tough.
We haven't really told anyone until now, because what's there to say?
I decided to share tonight because we're going to not be at our home and people may wonder where we are. I'll let you know when I know. (Our car, possibly??)
Bryan has leads in Portland, Texas (hello hot hot heat), and Minnesnowta - I mean - Minnesota (we just left the cold and snow, but whatever...)
To say we feel unsettled would be the world's biggest understatement. But, it is what it is.
I'm just going to say for now that we're just plugging along, not spending a dime unless absolutely necessary, packing our things for a trip to who-knows-where, and hoping for an offer soon enough to find a place to live.
It's December 2nd. We have 21 days. Wish us luck...
No comments:
Post a Comment
Thank you for reading and commenting <3
Only comments of love and encouragement are accepted. All others will be ignored.