Monday, June 17, 2013

The Unmarked Package

Saturday afternoon, I went out to get the mail and found a package waiting for me. It was addressed to us, but there was no return address.


I brought it inside and handed it to Bryan. "Do you know what this is or who this is from?" I asked. "No", he said, "I wasn't expecting anything".

We opened it up and found a typed note and two small white gift bags. Again, no identifying information.

This is what we found when we opened it all up:


A note with personalized key-chains for each of us. Bryan's says: "Daddy of an Angel" and mine says "Mommy of an Angel". Both also have a baby feet charm that says "Samuel Evan" with a beautiful little crystal in his birthstone. They are perfect!

This is what the note says:
Dear RaeAnne and Bryan., 

I started to follow your and Samuel's story a few months ago, and although we've never met, I've come to love your family and your precious little one. I wish I were able to give you a gift like the amazing gift of money  you received not long ago, but I wanted to at least give you a small token in memory of your little boy. My heart breaks for you. I can't imagine the depth of your pain, but I do know what you have a right to all of your thoughts and emotoions. Despite all the faith and trust I have in God, one thing I will never understand is why he decides to take children from their parents. It's not fair that Samuel isn't here and you have to go through this. It's also not fair that, through all the heartache you've had to experience, it's made worse by people who don't understand your grief and try to get you to "move on". 

You are going amazing things to help other people in your situation through your writing, blog and advocacy; I think you are incredible for reaching out to others when you are in so much pain yourselves. Your honestly shows other parents that they are not alone, that it's okay and normal to feel what they're feeling, and that babyloss is not something that can just be moved on from. No one should ahve to experience the loss of a baby, but you are making a huge difference to other parents who are going this. I think Samuel would be so proud to see all his mommy and daddy have done to carry on his memory and that of other beautiful babies. You ARE parents just as much as people who hold their children in their arms. You celebrate his life, protect and uphold his memory, carry on his legacy, stand up for him, and show that the love between parent and child can do amazing things. Samuel was a precious child; he will always be a part of your familiy; he will never be forgotten. He has changed thousands of lives, including mine. You will remain in my thoughts and prayers. 

Your in Christ, 
A Neighbor Who Cares. 


I read the note over and over. I was lost for words and deeply touched. What a beautiful gesture by a stranger. It brings tears just thinking that someone out there cares for us.

Once again, I have no way to thank this person.


If you sent this, and you're reading this, please know how much this means to us. We love the key-chains and the letter touched our hearts. Thank you for taking the time to do something  so special for us. It made a difference in our lives. Thank you for caring. It means so much that you are thinking of us and remember our little Samuel <3.

Thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for reading and commenting <3

Only comments of love and encouragement are accepted. All others will be ignored.